Tuesday, May 02, 2006

When the world just stops...

The thing is, in 99% of the world I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as millions of people just stopping and standing still. But that's exactly what happens when the siren goes off for Yom Hazikaron (Day of Rememberence)...

When the siren went off for Yom Hazikaron on Monday night, standing in the street, watching the world just STOP.... well, it was quite powerful to say the least. 120 seconds of Israel just coming to a halt and everyone opening their hearts to the same sound.

We continued on to the ceremony at Kikar Rabin (Rabin Square) where various artists including Nurit Galron, Achinoam Nini, Hemi Rodner, Idan Raichel, and Dana Berger all sang famous songs, each "related" somehow to Yom Hazikaron. They also had family members tell stories of their songs, brothers, etc. that died while serving in the army. It was hard to watch, but extremely moving. It was also unexpectedly cold and windy, but somehow it felt more appropriate considering the circumstancest that brought us all there.

The following night, we went to Kikar Rabin again, but this time for a much more joyful gathering and celebration of Yom Hatz'maut (Independence Day). Tipex performed which was entertaining and the whole balagan (mess) was quite awesome i have to say.

I spent most of Yom Hatzmaut itself in Petach Tikva hanging out with my new baby cousin (pics to be posted soon). Riki and Oren seem to be handling it all ok despite the crazy lack of sleep and the necessary energy to take care of a new little cutie along with the almost three year old bundle of joy we call Noa. The whole situation just reminds me how amazing pregnancy and children are and how SO NOT IN THAT POINT IN MY LIFE I am. :-P

Enzywayz...so in other good news: the good news is that my room is finally free of suitcases and bags full of clothes (I got my very large closet/dresser delivered -- I'll take pictures of that soon as well, it's my first official I-own-this-peice-of-furniture). It's been really nice getting used to being there and having the space to live/cook/clean, etc. We're on the lookout for couches and chairs now so that we can have a place for people to sit!

There's still a good amount of stuff on the to-do list, but slowly but sure I'll get it all done. Perhaps some errands tomorrow morning (hopefully -- finally -- buying a bike!)

ok, I have no internet in my apartment yet (hopefully by early next week this will be fixed) so soon I will be back in the online world.

may you all have a lovely rest of the week and weekend :-)

p.s. shout-out to Amitai for finishing off his fourth and final year of undergrad at Tufts... no more counting the days my friend :-P

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home