Wednesday, September 06, 2006

upsetting trip to Yeda (the Apple store in Tel Aviv)

(i know what you're thinking...two posts in one day?? no, there was no crack in my yogurt this morning)

so i just got back from my lunchbreak trip to Yeda - the Apple store in Tel Aviv - to see what was to be of my baby (my iPod). He was good to me for about a year or so and then started having issues... :-( While it was still under warranty i brought it in, but of course my iPod was too proud to show that it had any issues during the testing, apparently, and they told me it was fine. Less than three months later the thing is -- as I was told -- pretty much dead. They said that from their experience, when it shows the sad face and tells you to go to the website for support, it's a problem that can't be fixed with downloading the latest programming, etc., and is probably going to have to be replaced.

ok, so being my spoiled self, in my head i'm already freaking out thinking how i'm going to get through the next two and a half weeks (and 10hr plane ride!!!!) without any music :-( and the cheapest mp3 player i've seen around here is 200 sheks (about 45 dollars), which i'm not sure i wanna shell out when i know there will be a nano in my hands in about three weeks...

the options i was given for "upgrading" aren't particularly exciting (the most worthwhile one being upgrading to a video iPod (30G) for 1200 sheckels (~$270) which is still really annoying since i don't particularly NEED the video part. we'll see. i think i'll have to somehow suck it up for three weeks (AHHHH!) and see what i can do in the states with my nonfunctional baby :-(

AND, the OTHER part of this trip that was quite upsetting was this 60-year-old-ish man who walked in about 5 minutes after me and while i was talking to the girl that works there (who now knows me by name after my many visits) he just cuts in and starts going off on how no one is paying attention to him and how he wants to speak to the manager...and while the poor girl is like, just one minute i'm with a customer, he starts talking to someone on his cell phone (yelling, i should say) about how this place is ridiculous, no service, they won't let him speak to the manager, etc etc. It was almost impossible to keep having the conversation with the girl who was trying to help me and telling me pricing and stuff because of this insane (yet all too common in this country) behavior.

Now, no one can accuse me of anything less than loving this country with all my heart, but there are times when i just am appalled at how insane people are in their requests. It seems quite ironic and pathetic that in a country where service is pretty poor most of the time, someone would even consider acting like that and expecting a response. The girl didn't seem phased by the man's behavior and rude commentary and was like, don't pay attention to him this happens all the time. There are not many things I like about American interaction (all the fake hi, i really care kind of bullshit) but sometimes it would be nice if people at least showed a sprinkle of respect for the people around them. No, you are not the center of the world, and everyone would be a lot better off if you remembered this more often. bahh.

Kitzur (in short) I walked out of there pretty depressed and wasn't exactly thrilled getting back to work. but if i'm here i might as well...work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home